Inclusion in this list does not imply endorsement.
- 12 Natural Ways to Reduce Indoor Air Pollution: An infographic with some “fast facts” about indoor air pollution and how plants can help reduce it (includes a list of 7 specific plants). From HomeAdvisor.
- Aging in Place: What Every Boomer Should Know: A guide with tips, tricks and ideas for aging in one’s own home. From Porch.
- Bathroom Safety Tips for Caregivers: Research from the National Institute on Aging says that around 80% of falls of people over 65 occur in the bathroom. From UpFlush Toilet.
- Boomer’s Roadmap for Aging in Place: From HomeCity, a Texas real estate website, with suggestions applicable to any part of the country.
- Fire Prevention, Preparedness and Recovery: Specific tips for seniors from HomeAdvisor.
- The Freedom to Age in Place: Physical adjustments to the home, ways to avoid isolating and helpful technology. From Silvernest, a home-sharing site.
- Home Improvements to Help Boost Your Mental Health: Everything from decluttering to changing your flooring or lighting, or getting a houseplant. From My Job Quote.
- Home Safety and Accessibility Checklist: From Rocket Mortgage, which suggests you “use this list as a baseline and consult your doctor for tailored suggestions.”
- Home Safety for Seniors: A “room-by-room guide full of safety tips to make your home as safe as possible.” From TurboTenant.
- Personal Safety Nets: A pragmatic way of preparing for the surprises in life by building a plan to increase resourcefulness and resilience for you and those you care about.
- Retiring in Your Own Home: A list of suggestions from HomeAdvisor on how Baby Boomers can age in place, with links to related articles.
- Smart Home Technology for Seniors: Devices for every room, including such things as automatic stove turn-off devices and key finders. “Smart home automation can make independent living comfortable and help with the everyday tasks of home management.”
- Why You Should Review Your Homeowners Insurance When You Refinance Your Home: Advice on why reviewing is important and what to look for when considering replacing your policy. From Insurance Professionals of Arizona.
Home Modifications & Renovations
- Aging in Place: Renovating with Independence in Mind: A guide to understanding “the appropriate renovations that may be required and to equip the home with modifications that are right for you and any caretakers providing attention as you age in place.” From Freshome.
- Bathroom Modifications for Seniors and People with Disabilities: A list of major risk factors in bathrooms and suggested remedies. From Saniflo Depot.
- Grants for Home Modification: An article that discusses the categories of home modifications that are eligible for funding — disability, senior and veterans — and how to go about applying for them. From Basement Guides.
- Home Modifications and Accommodations for Seniors: A guide to modifying “your home so all of its residents are safe and comfortable.” From Five Star Painting.
- Home Modifications for Specific Needs: Some examples, from AARP Livable Communities, of simple modifications to make a home more user-friendly and livable.
- Simple Changes to Make Your Home Safe for Aging in Place: “A room-by-room list of inexpensive ways to make your home safer and more comfortable.” From House Method.
The Village Movement
- The Village Movement: Redefining Aging in Place: An article on Next Avenue about this new approach that allows people to stay in their homes while easing the burden on their family caregivers.
- Villages: Helping People Age in Place: An article in the AARP Magazine on how villages allow people to stay in their homes longer.
- Villages NW: Developing and nurturing a network of sustainable, community-based Villages throughout the region to enable more Pacific NW residents to successfully age in place. Located in Portland, Oregon.
- Village to Village Network: A national peer-to-peer network to help establish and continuously improve management of local villages, whether in large metropolitan areas, rural towns, or suburban settings.