Inclusion in this list does not imply endorsement.
- 12 Natural Ways to Reduce Indoor Air Pollution: An infographic with some “fast facts” about indoor air pollution and how plants can help reduce it (includes a list of 7 specific plants). From HomeAdvisor.
- Aging in Place: What Every Senior Should Know: A guide with tips, tricks and ideas for aging in one’s own home. From Porch.
- Bathroom Safety Tips for Caregivers: Research from the National Institute on Aging says that around 80% of falls of people over 65 occur in the bathroom. From UpFlush Toilet.
- Boomer’s Roadmap for Aging in Place: From HomeCity, a Texas real estate website, with suggestions applicable to any part of the country.
- Fire Prevention, Preparedness and Recovery: Specific tips for seniors from HomeAdvisor.
- Home Safety and Accessibility Checklist: From Rocket Mortgage, which suggests you “use this list as a baseline and consult your doctor for tailored suggestions.”
- Home Safety for Seniors: A “room-by-room guide full of safety tips to make your home as safe as possible.” From TurboTenant.
- Home Safety for Seniors—What You Should Know: Another guide to “thinking through the needs of daily life” for seniors. From This Old House.
- Personal Safety Nets: A pragmatic way of preparing for the surprises in life by building a plan to increase resourcefulness and resilience for you and those you care about.
- Retiring in Your Own Home: A list of suggestions from HomeAdvisor on how Baby Boomers can age in place, with links to related articles.
- Smart Home Technology for Seniors: Devices for every room, including such things as automatic stove turn-off devices and key finders. “Smart home automation can make independent living comfortable and help with the everyday tasks of home management.”
Home Modifications & Renovations
- Aging in Place: Renovating with Independence in Mind: A guide to understanding “the appropriate renovations that may be required and to equip the home with modifications that are right for you and any caretakers providing attention as you age in place.” From Freshome.
- Bathroom Modifications for Seniors and People with Disabilities: A list of major risk factors in bathrooms and suggested remedies. From Saniflo Depot.
- DIY Home Modifications for Senior Fall Prevention: Tips for “making the home and surrounding areas safer for adults ages 65 and up (or at any age with a high risk of falling).” From PrimeWeld.
- Five Home Repairs Seniors Should Avoid Doing When They Are Alone: Sensible but helpful reminders from Expert Easy.
- Grants for Home Modification: An article that discusses the categories of home modifications that are eligible for funding — disability, senior and veterans — and how to go about applying for them. From Basement Guides.
- Home Modifications and Accommodations for Seniors: A guide to modifying “your home so all of its residents are safe and comfortable.” From Five Star Painting.
- Home Modifications for Specific Needs: Some examples, from AARP Livable Communities, of simple modifications to make a home more user-friendly and livable.
- Kitchen Modifications for the Disabled and Elderly: This guide explores “how to assess the space and determine what kind and degree of modifications are necessary to achieve the best results for the individual to remain in their home and age in place.” From Elite Patio Direct.
- Simple Changes to Make Your Home Safe for Aging in Place: “A room-by-room list of inexpensive ways to make your home safer and more comfortable.” From House Method.
The Village Movement
- The Village Movement: Redefining Aging in Place: An article on Next Avenue about this new approach that allows people to stay in their homes while easing the burden on their family caregivers.
- Villages: Helping People Age in Place: An article in the AARP Magazine on how villages allow people to stay in their homes longer.
- Villages NW: Developing and nurturing a network of sustainable, community-based Villages throughout the region to enable more Pacific NW residents to successfully age in place. Located in Portland, Oregon.
- Village to Village Network: A national peer-to-peer network to help establish and continuously improve management of local villages, whether in large metropolitan areas, rural towns, or suburban settings.