Inclusion in this list does not imply endorsement.
Assisted Living and Senior Communities
- Assisted Living Facilities: Tips from HelpGuide.org on choosing a facility and making the transition. Additional topics on Aging Well are also available.
- Compare Assisted Living: A breakdown of the different types of care facilities, as well as reviews of some of the larger companies and an exploration of features offered. Presented by ConsumerAffairs, “a private non-governmental entity.”
- SeniorGuidance.org: An organization that helps “find appropriate senior facilities and communities that may be of interest to seniors who are looking to retire or need special care.” Their web site lists all senior living communities in every U.S. state.
Downsizing and Moving
- The Enlightened Guide to Helping Senior Citizens Relocate: This article “provides some guidelines for caregivers helping seniors to relocate. We explore what needs to be done before, during, and after relocating to reduce the stress and challenges associated with moving.” Presented by moveBuddha.
- A Guide to Downsizing for Seniors and Their Loved Ones: “Designed to make the downsizing process as simple as possible for seniors and their loved ones. It will help prepare both house and senior for the transition, as well as offer advice to loved ones on the duties they can help perform.” Presented by RedFin.
- Moving Tips, Tricks and Secrets for Seniors: From YourStorageFinder, which bills itself as “The #1 website to find self-storage anywhere.”
- National Association of Senior Moving Managers: An organization whose mission is “to facilitate the physical and emotional aspects of relocation for older adults, to increase industry awareness, to establish a national referral network, to enhance the professional competence of members, and to promote the delivery of our services with compassion and integrity.”
- Senior Citizen’s Guide to Moving: Popular moving options for seniors as well as tips on planning out your new home, how to downsize, a discussion of its emotional impact and more. From Hire A Helper.
- Senior Friendly Guide to Downsizing: You can read it online or download a printable version. Offered by GoodCall.
- Senior Moving Guide: Discusses “popular moving options for seniors, the emotional impacts of downsizing, how to stay connected in a new city and tips to use on moving day.”
- Senior Care Resources: Tips, guides and articles from A Place for Mom to make the “senior living and retirement transition as seamless as possible.”
- Ultimate Guide to Home Organization: “Organizing tips and step-by-step guide help you through organizing one room at a time.” How to Get Rid of Things also looks good. From Neighbor.com.
Home Owning and Home Sharing
- Boomer’s Ultimate Guide to Adding Value to Your Home: A list of suggestions from Improve.net.
- Can I Get a Mortgage If I’m Retired?: A short article about how a retiree may qualify for a mortgage.
- Home Modifications Increase Senior Safety: An article on Angie’s List with answers to four top home modification questions.
- How to Deter Burglars: Keeping Potential Robbers Away From Your Home: An article with suggestions about “a number of things you can do to reduce the likelihood of your home being burglarized beyond installing a burglar alarm system.” From ASecureLife.com which includes “home security systems reviews, identity theft evaluations, and financial tips to help you prepare for retirement and reduce your debt.”
- Senior HomeShares: A nationwide online housemate service specifically for older adults. They “match elders who have more home than they need or can afford with elders on a fixed income who are looking for safe, affordable housing.”