Inclusion in this list does not imply endorsement.
Caregiving and Nursing Homes
- A Caregivers Guide to Understanding, Recognizing and Preventing Elder Abuse: This resource from Maryville University defines the various types of elder abuse, outlines the signs of elder abuse, offers ways you can help, and explains how to properly report it.
- Elderly Care: A Guide for Families New to Caring: A downloadable guide to different types of care and their financing, care assessments, legal considerations, home modifications and assistive technologies. From SuperCarers.
- Helpful Tips to Assist the Family Caregiver: Information and suggestions to ease the task of caregiving. From Home Health Care Agencies.
- How to Become an In-Home Paid Caregiver for a Family Member: “There are resources that can help a caregiver better attend to their family member, such as Medicaid, grants, or even help from the caregiver’s employer.” From Fiscal Tiger.
- Nursing Home Abuse Center: A free online resource “designed to inform and encourage improvements to the status quo.” Not affiliated with any lawyer or law firm.
- 25 Financial Resources for Seniors in Debt: A guide designed to help seniors in debt find financial assistance in many different forms, including: direct cash grants for food, housing, and other necessities; charitable low- or no-interest loans; free financial and employment counseling for seniors seeking work. From CreditRepair.com.
- Common Scams That Target the Elderly: A list of common scams and how to protect oneself from them.
- Grandfolk: A site that provides guidance on senior lifestyle, products, and services in such areas as finances, safety, health, auto, and insurance.
- Senior Discounts: A Guide to Saving Money for Seniors: A quarterly survey of 18 categories of brands that offer seniors discounts. Put together by DealHack.
- Senior Discounts: A guide to more than 400 stores that offer senior discounts. From Knoji, a “shopping knowledge hub where over 3 million monthly shoppers research before they buy.”
- Top 10 Financial Scams Targeting Seniors: A detailed list from the National Council on Aging.
- The Ultimate Guide to Senior Discounts: A national listing of discounts for everything from eating out to grocery shopping, cell phone plans and travel.
- Whistleblower Info: An organization whose mission is “to provide the public and our readers with the information needed to file a qui tam or whistleblower lawsuit against companies that commit fraud.”
Consumer Safety & Product Recalls
- The Complete Medication Management Guide for Seniors: A guide to “empower seniors, caregivers, and family members with helpful information about medication use, storage, organization, and more.” From SingleCare.
- ConsumerDangers: A website that “strives to provide a comprehensive free resource for the public to learn more about every day products that can potentially cause harm.”
- Consumer Safety: A website that uses a variety of sources to collect data about recent recalls, news stories, and dangerous products.
- Consumer Safety Guide: Information about “some of the latest safety issues involving drugs, medical devices, food and other products.” From Seeger Weiss LLP.
- Drug Center: An online resource for people experiencing serious side effects from drugs or medical devices.
- Drug Dangers: Provides “information on a range of medications and medical devices that have serious complications.” The site is sponsored by Seeger Weiss LLP.
- Recall Report: An organization “created to alert the public to the latest information on dangerous drugs and products.”
- Senior Safety Reviews: “Helpful guides, resources, tools, checklists, alerts and unbiased advice.”
- Elder Law: Covers “a wide range of legal matters unique to aging and elderly Americans, such as long-term care options and elder abuse.” From FindLaw.
- Emotional Support Animal Laws for Rentals: While emotional support animals are qualified for certain legal protections, they are not as extensive as those for service animals. This guide from TurboTenant provides information on the differences between them and tenant protections from the FHA.
- Estate Planning in the Age of COVID-19: Information on “the proper legal documents to ensure their loved ones will be taken care of should they pass on.” From Legal Templates.
- Family Assets Senior Care Resources: “Comprehensive guides and eligibility tools for every senior care type and financial resource available to your family. Our guides cover health conditions, how to select the right care provider, and how to pay for care using Medicaid and other financial resources.”
Medical Alert Systems
- Best Medical Alert Systems: Retirement Living Information Center examined 11 medical alert systems and make their recommendation for the three best choices for seniors in 2017.
- Best Medical Alert System: Recommendations from Reviews.com, which investigated 23 popular medical alert providers and hand-tested 5 finalists to find their 2 top picks, both of which are also the Retirement Living Information Center’s top picks.
- Best Medical Alert Systems of 2019: Reviews of the “14 top home medical alert systems.” From Caring.com.
- The Senior-Friendly Guide to Medical Alert Systems: This guide from Reviews.com goes over the Who, What and How of medical alert systems, as well as offering their reviews.
- When Do I Need a Medical Alert System?: A checklist of reasons why you might want to consider getting such a system. Presented by Best Company.
- IRS Phone Scams: IRS phone scams ranked #2 on the list for tax scams in the 2018 filing season. They might say you owe taxes that require immediate payment or you may face arrest, deportation, or license revocation if you don’t pay your bill. This guide teaches how you can detect IRS telephone scams – and what steps to take if you are targeted. From Community Tax.
- Practical Tips to Help Seniors Get Back into the Marketplace: Helpful guidance including reminders about the benefits that older workers bring, specific tips on how to increase your chances for new employment, and links to additional resources. Offered by Household Guide, a British site, though their suggestions are just as applicable here as in the U.K.
- A Retirees Guide to Hosting on Airbnb: “According to Airbnb, the number of experiences hosted by people 60 years and older has grown by nearly 1,100 percent over the past year.” This guide gives information about preparing your home, cost considerations, tax implications and more. Presented by Bankrate.com.
- Retirement Business Ideas: A list of “ideas that are suitable to maintain a relaxing and comfortable retirement without causing any extensive stress or ‘break the bank’ on your current retirement funds.” Offered by Commercial Capital Training Group.
- Transportation Options for Seniors Who Don’t Drive: A breakdown of transportation options, including the pros and cons of each option, from the Neptune Society.
- We Need to Talk: Family Conversations with Older Drivers: A guidebook with useful information and questions about safety and driving we age. Presented by The Hartford/MIT AgeLab Partnership.
- What Is Not Covered by Medicare?: A guide from Insurance Professionals of Arizona.
- Where to Start with Your Raw DNA Data: Reasons to download your raw DNA data and what to do with it once you’ve done so. From KnowYourDNA.
- 55 Ways to Save Money on Internet Safety: A guide that includes suggestions about using free versions; setting up your browser; and “free and simple tweaks.” From Cool Tech Zone.
- Aging in Place Technology Watch: “Market research that provides thought leadership, analysis and guidance about technologies and services that enable boomers and seniors to remain longer in their home of choice.”
- A Guide to Smart Home Tech for the Disabled and Elderly: A guide to “smart home items that work by linking to a cloud-based setup and with your home’s online connection.” From The Reviews Insider.
- How to Disable SSID to Hide Wi-Fi Network: “A Service Set Identifier or SSID is the name of the Wi-Fi connection which is displayed on a device when you search for nearby routers.” This article shares some warnings and some how-to’s to protect yourself. From Ivacy, a VPN provider.
- Internet Safety: A guide to safe online shopping for seniors. From Sana Commerce.
- Internet Service Discounts for Seniors: A list of some providers that offer senior discounts. From Decision Data.
- Is Public Wi-Fi Safe?: Types and risks of public Wi-Fi, “Some do’s and don’t’s of connecting to public networks.” From Ivacy, a VPN provider.
- Smart Tech for Seniors: A guide to “how seniors are using tech in the home, for health, and in everyday life.”
- The Ultimate Internet Safety Guide for Seniors: Advice on how to protect your computer, avoiding common scams, recognizing legitimate websites and more. From Safety Detective.